Food for the Hungry (FH/U) is a Christian international relief and development organization that has been working in Uganda since 1989. FH is currently operating programs in Asia, Latin America and Africa with support offices in the UK, Canada, Switzerland, United States of America and Japan. FH’s primary goal is to end all forms of poverty World-wide. FH promotes practice of performance, accountability, and risk management in line with FH’s “Transforming Field Experience (TFE)” re-imagination initiative. In Uganda, FH is operational in the Districts of Adjumani, Kitgum, Lamwo, Kween, Mbale, Namutumba and Amudat Districts implementing programs in four main sectors of Education; Food Security and Livelihoods; Health/Nutrition and Disaster Risk Reduction; with the Head office located in Kampala.
All we do, and how we do it, seeks to promote God’s beauty, goodness, and truth in a broken world. As such, we are defined by our ability to make people’s lives measurably better; our ability to deliver impact is the measure of our collective success. For we know that we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God has already prepared in advance for us to do. At Food for the Hungry, we operate under a set of values called Heartbeat Values.
EXTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
FH/Uganda is actively seeking for qualified candidates committed to its Heartbeat and Corporate Strategy to fill the career opening below on a rolling basis;
Job Title: Program Director (01 position)
Position Type: Full Time National Staff
Reports to: Country Director
Contract Length: 2 years
Start Date: January 2024 (To be shortlisted on rolling basis)
At Food for the Hungry, we operate under a set of guiding principles we call “The Heartbeat.” This includes our Values, Vision and Purpose, which serve as the explanation of who we are and how we work as an organization. Together we follow God’s call responding to human suffering and graduating communities from extreme poverty.
The PD will support the Country Director in providing strategic leadership and management of all FH Uganda programs/projects’ activities as well as increasing funding portfolio through proposal development, networking, fund raising and managing donor relation. In close collaboration with the Country Director, the PD will lead the programs teams in aligning the FH Uganda programs in line with the new Program model and re-imagination building blocks while also ensuring program quality across the country Program.
Key Result #1 – Key result # 1 – Strategy Development and Program Design (30%)
• In close collaboration with the country director, provide strategic direction of Uganda Programs implementation and foster program integration in line with existing Corporate Strategy, Heartbeat.
Key Result #2– Provide Leadership on Program Innovation, Knowledge Creation, and Learning (30%)
• Develop, strategize, and plan new interventions and products that will drive innovation in alignment with our FH strategic objectives and growth intentions
Key Result #3 – Representation and External Relations (10%)
• Support the Country Director with representation to the government at different government levels, helping to ensure constructive working relationships are maintained to allow expansion and growth of FH’s transformation development in Uganda
• In conjunction with the Country Director and other staff, represent FH Uganda at relevant interagency technical networks and working groups as necessary
• Support the Country Director in policy influencing (advocacy related to development initiatives) activities at the country and AP level
• Ensure effective communication and feedback between FH Uganda and other stakeholders
Key Result #4– Staff and financial management (30%)
• Lead and manage staff ensuring clarity over strategy, plans and priorities, providing supervision, guidance and mentoring, encouraging effective teamwork and inclusiveness and building a team spirit through regular meetings and events.
• Line manage the Sector Specialists and other program staff in the management and implementation of projects, ensuring adequate monitoring, reviewing progress, reviewing beneficiary feedback, identifying corrective actions required and capturing learning.
• Provide management support to direct reports in their management of others, and their implementation of objectives, work plans, and budgets.
• Provide spiritual leadership support to direct reports and other staff where appropriate.
• Contribute to developing and modeling a team culture characterized by a shared vision, commitment, and mutual accountability that reflects FH’s desired corporate values being servant-hood, Christ-centered, excellency, stewardship, grace, and holistic.
• Create structured opportunities to encourage learning from all staff, ensuring internal and external evaluations and reviews are undertaken as appropriate. Ensure recommendations are implemented and learning is shared across the wider FH Uganda team.
• Support and participate in staff recruitment, induction and training as required
Job Level Specifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty/function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to represent the organization in high-level meetings with donors, local Church central and local government and technical forums
• Strong people-management and leadership skills
• Commitment to accountability to beneficiaries and transparency, showing dignity and respect, and demonstrating listening and understanding
• Possess analytical and problem-solving skills, risk management skills as well as decision- making skills
• Have a vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ
• Strong aptitude for organizational change, participatory and servant leadership, innovation, learning, team building
• Willingness to live and work in a stressful environment with security challenges.
• Ability to interact with tact and diplomacy,
• Strong presentation, speaking and writing skills
• Effective Inter- and –Intra personal communication
• Ability to multi-task and juggle many competing priorities
• A Master’s Degree in development studies or related field with at least 10 years of experience in managing and implementing programs in the development sector, 5 of which should be in senior management position within an NGO set up.
• Proven experience with USG / USAID/DFID/UN/Corporations and general donor relationships
• Proven strategic planning and program and project management experience in a humanitarian/development environment
• Proven budget management experience coupled with experience in implementing and working in accordance with corporate structures, policies and practices.
• Extensive knowledge of project design and implementation,
• Experience in proposal-writing, budgeting and financial management.
• Demonstrated experience with participatory approaches to development, including capacity building of local institutions
• Knowledge and experience working with other cultures and sensitive to the cross cultural issues
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
FHU is an equal opportunity employer. All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by Clearly stating the position applied for in the Subject line and submitting only electronic copies in one pdf file not more than 25MB of an application letter, a detailed CV, contact telephone numbers, copies of relevant testimonials/certificates, names/contact details of three referees, addressed to:
The Human Resources Manager, Food for the Hungry Uganda Email: recruitment- email@example.com not later than Monday 20th November, 2023 at 4:30pm. Consider your application unsuccessful if you don’t hear from us by 22nd December, 2023
Safeguarding & Protection Clause:
FH strives to provide an environment free from Sexual exploitation, abuse, harassment and Fraud in all places where relief and development programs are implemented. FH holds a zero-tolerance policy against Sexual exploitation, abuse, harassment and Fraud. FH expects its employees to maintain high ethical standards, protect organizational integrity and reputation, and ensure that FH work is carried out in honest and fair methods, in alignment with the FH Heartbeat, Anti -Fraud, Safeguarding and associated policies. Violations to stated policies will be subject to corrective action up to and including termination of employment.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Food for the Hungry Safeguarding, Anti-Fraud & HR policy. In line with this we will request information from applicants’ previous employers about any findings of fraud, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By applying, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Disclaimer: It has come to our attention that several agencies or persons, are claiming to be acting on Food for the Hungry’s (FH)behalf in recruiting or facilitating the recruitment of personnel. FH does not outsource its recruitment process to any organization or agency which, through website postings, mass e-mail messages or otherwise claims to be doing recruitment on its behalf. FH does not solicit money for any part of its recruitment processes including short-listing, interviews, background, and/or medical check-ups. FH will not be responsible for such fraudulent correspondence or any loss of money or theft which may result from anyone engaging in any fraudulent recruitment activity.
Tagged as: NGO Jobs
Job Description Manager PR & Communications–(230001D) Description JOB ROLE/ PURPOSE: To develop, implement and manage a communications strategy, frameworks, and...Apply For This Job
JOB DETAILS: Description Hello Hello! Alight is recruiting Child Protection Case Worker for our program in Uganda. You’re interested in...Apply For This Job
JOB DETAILS: Skills and qualities • Appreciation for human diversity and a commitment to social justice. • Willingness to work...Apply For This Job
JOB DETAILS: Position function Provide administrative support for marketing, products and communication programmes / initiatives of the Bank. Key responsibilities...Apply For This Job
JOB DETAILS: Job Purpose To manage all database systems on which all mission critical business applications run. The role holder...Apply For This Job
JOB DETAILS: Office Assistants are responsible for things like: • Overseeing clerical tasks, such as sorting and sending mail. •...Apply For This Job